Monday, October 23, 2017

Femism

I am currently in a Global Women's Studies class where we tackle feminism and what that looks like around the world. It is very interesting because prior to this class, I did not understand what feminism really was about. 

Here are some quick facts on feminism provided by DoSometing.org
  • Women earn 78 cents for every dollar a man makes.
  • Only 17% of the seats in Congress are held by women.
  • Although 48% of law school graduates and 45% of law firm associates are female, women make up only 22% of federal-level and 26% of state-level judgeships.
  • Even in the 10 top paying jobs for women, females earn less than men; only one career, speech pathology, pays the same regardless of gender.
  • Despite previous attempts to ratify a UN treaty guaranteeing the elimination of all forms of discrimination against women, the U.S. refuses to support an international bill of rights for women signed by nearly every other nation on the planet.
Many women are reluctant to advocate feminism because they are uncertain about the meaning of the term. For me, this statement is true. I don't consider myself a feminist mainly because as a black woman, I don't know how feminism will benefit people of color. POC have come a long way in society but there is oppression that still goes on today. Personally, I feel that I need to advocate for being black in America before I can advocate for women in America.

I am interested in hearing a male perspective of feminism?  Are they willing to fight for their mothers, grandmothers, sisters, aunts, wives, girlfriends to have equal opportunity? Will their egos allow their partner (if she is a woman) be the bread winner?   

Here is the source of where I provided the facts about feminism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!

Hello, my name is Alexis Sheffield and welcome to Lex Logic!  This blog will talk about the media's portrayal of black woman and my...