Monday, November 13, 2017

Natural Hair


The summer of 8th grade going into 9th is when I got my first relaxer. A relaxer is a type of cream that chemically changes the texture of hair. Relaxers are typically used on hair with tight curls or curly hair to make the hair "relaxed" or straight. I wanted a relaxer because I wanted a more mature look for high school. I loved wearing my hair straight and my relaxer allowed me to do such. I played basketball and ran track in high school, so I would often sweat my hair out. Since I had a relaxer, my hair never curled back up when I would sweat, it would just get real frizzy. I would get a touch up every six weeks so my new growth would also be relaxed.

Hair in general takes a lot of maintenance. You have to wash it, comb, it, brush it, and style it. Having my hair relaxed was a lot of maintenance for me because my hair is really fine which makes it more prone to breakage. Braids are more convenient, but I couldn't get my hair braided when it was relaxed because the braids would cause my hair to break off. My hair broke off a lot when it was relaxed causing me to have to continuously get my hair trimmed. My hair was not that healthy anymore and my hairdresser suggested that I do the big chop.

The big chop is when you cut off all your relaxed hair and go back to your natural texture. I did the big chop Spring of 2015 and have been natural since. I love my natural hair because it is so versatile. I am able to wear braids, try different natural styles, put in a weave, and I still have the option of straightening my hair. I have more flexibility with my hair that I didn't realize before. I also love switching up my hairstyles and playing in my curls.

Natural hair is also healthier. Some studies show that the harsh chemicals in a relaxer are linked to fibroids.    


This is a chart of common natural hair textures in black hair. My hair texture is 4a.
Related image


This is a picture of what the big chop looks like.

Related image

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!

Hello, my name is Alexis Sheffield and welcome to Lex Logic!  This blog will talk about the media's portrayal of black woman and my...